Today we had Idli and sambhar for breakfast. My sambhar is a quick one. I've used sambhar powder which we get in market. This makes it more easier to make. I love to temper it with cumin seeds, so have used cumin along with mustard seeds.
For IdlisYou need
- Urid dal - 1 cup
- Raw rice - 2 cups
- Cooked rice - a handful
- Salt to taste
- Soak Urid dal and raw rice in water separately for atleast 3 hours
- Grind rice and dal separately.
- Add cooked rice to raw rice while grinding.
- Mix together the separately ground batters. Add salt to taste.
- Keep it overnight to ferment or for atleast 10-12 hrs.
- Pour the batter in idli pathram and steam for 10-15 minutes.
Note: I use a mixie to grind dal and rice. So the above measures are for a mixie user. :)
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Water - 4 cups
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Onion - 1 diced into medium size
- Potato - 1 diced
- Carrot - 1 diced
- Cucumber - 1 diced
- Drumstick - 1 cut into small pieces
- Sambhar powder - 3 tsp (we get nirapara sambhar powder here. I use that)
- Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp (Optional)
- Asafoetida (hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 bunch (I like lots in sambhar)
- Tamarind juice - 1 tbsp (from a gooseberry size tamarind ball) (Optional)
- Oil as required
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Shallots - 3 sliced
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Soak toor dal in water for 1 hour.
- Put toor dal, diced onion, potato, carrot, tomato and cucumber in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. Cook for 1 whistle and put the flame on low. Wait for 1 more whistle and switch off the flame.
- In a frying pan dry roast the sambhar powder and chilli powder (you can avoid if you don't want it spicy) for a minute. Switch off.
- When the pressure is relieved from the cooker, open it and add powders. Mix well
- Add drumsticks and handbroken coriander leaves.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of water.
- Check for the tanginess. If you want it more tangy add tamarind juice as required. (I usually don't use tamarind)
- Add asafoetida and mix well. Put on the flame on low and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Put a frying pan on flame.
- Add oil.
- When oil becomes hot add cumin seeds
- When cumin seeds starts bursting you get a lovely aroma.
- Add fenugreek seeds, sliced shallots and dry red chillies.
- When they become brown switch off and pour in sambhar which is simmering.
- Let is simmer for a minute. Switch off and serve with Idlis/dosas