Here it is weekend and this is one of the favourite curries we have with steaming hot rice. I love this combination for the flavour of coconut, the tanginess of kudam puli (gamboge) and the spices. My mom and my mil don't make this often, but I try this here on most weekends. It is creamy, not that spicy and full of flavours. Have a great weekend
- Fish - 500 gms (I used kingfish)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Chilli powder- 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil (for sauteeing and for final stage)
- Kudam puli (gamboge) - 2 pieces
- Grind together all ingredients from 6 to 9 into a very fine paste adding water
- In a vessel heat oil and add mustard seeds
- Once it starts spluttering, add fenugreek seeds
- Add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute until they turn light brown.
- To this add the above coconut paste. If it is thick add water.
- Add salt to taste
- Wash kudam puli and tear it into small pieces. Add to the gravy.
- Once the gravy starts simmering, put the fish pieces. Cover and cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes drizzle a little coconut oil on top. Switch off and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice.