This is one of my mother's recipe. She used to make it often and it goes well with appam and puttu. Actually I had forgotten this curry for sometime. Last day my husband wanted something different to go with appam than the usual egg curry. That was when I called her up for an idea. I usually do that when I'm blank or void of ideas. She reminded me of this one and here it is. This is an easy one if you've well soaked moong gram.
- Moong gram - 1/2 cup (soaked well)
- Carrot - 1 (diced)
- Potato - 1 (diced)
- Onion - 1 (sliced)
- Ginger - a small piece (chopped)
- Green chilli - 3 (slit lengthwise)
- Thin coconut milk - 2 cups (see Note)
- Salt to taste
- Thick coconut milk - 1 cup
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp
- Soak moong gram for 4-6 hrs (so it gets cooked in one or two whistles)
- In a pressure cooker add ingredients from 1 to 8. Stir and cook for 2 whistles (avoid overcooking)
- Once the pressure is relieved, open the lid and add thick coconut milk. Don't let it boil.
- Switch off the flame. Drizzle coconut oil. Serve with appam or puttu
- I used coconut powder to make thin and thick coconut milk
- You can replace coconut milk with cow's milk. Then dilute it before pouring into the cooker.