My little fellow was not in a good mood today morning. So to cheer him up I made one of his favourite dishes which is vermicilli payasam/kheer. I didn't add any cashews and raisins as he likes it very plain. I've seen many kids spending more time picking up raisins than having it. It is the same case here. He enjoyed and I went to his heart through his stomach. Whether it is husband or son the way to heart is only through stomach at least sometimes ;)
- Vermicilli - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Milk - 2 cups
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (adjust as per your sweet tooth)
- Cardamom - 4
- Cashew nut & raisins (optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast the vermicilli until golden brown
- In a thick bottomed vessel boil water. Once it is boiled add the roasted vermicilli. Cover and cook until it is soft.
- In the meantime grind together sugar and cardamom seeds (split open the cardamom and use the seeds) to get a smooth powder. In this way you can avoid biting the cardamom pods.
- Once vermicilli is cooked, add the sugar-cardamom mix into it and stir.
- Pour in the milk and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes on slow heat