Thursday, May 31, 2012

Vettu cake/Fried cake

Vettu cake is one lovely snack found in all small thattukadas in kerala. I love making it at home. We cherish it with lots of school and college memories. It is my son's favourite too. Have it with hot steaming tea. :)


You need
  • All purpose flour - 1 cup
  • Baking powder - 1 tsp
  • Sugar - 1/4 cup
  • Egg - 1
  • Cardamom - 3 
  • Oil for deep frying

Method   
  • Powder sugar along with cardamom seeds well.
  • Sieve together maida and baking powder.
  • Beat egg
  • Mix together the maida, baking powder, sugar and cardamom.
  • Add beaten egg little by little until you get a perfect dough.
  • Keep aside for 10 minutes
  • Roll the dough into a long cylindrical shape and cut into small pieces as shown
  • Make a deep cross cut on each piece
  • Heat oil
  • Put the cut face of the dough down first into the oil.
  • Deep fry until golden brown.

16 comments:

  1. I have never heard of it.Must try...Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fav. cake.. superb clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eaten these at my friend's place.. but the shape was different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has come out perfect,adipoli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like its raining Vettu Cakes out here in the blogging world. Love these things....so simple n yummy :-)

    Regards,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I think I will make these sometime, they seem simple enough, I think that even I could manage it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect ones..Love to have with tea,I too had posted couple of days back:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious. Is there a way I can make it without using egg?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow....my fav.....recently i saw this in some blogs..........enthaayalum aduth thanne undakki nokkanam....

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so similar to the ones we get in the bakeries in Kerala...Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. It means a lot.