Yesterday I tried a zebra cake. It was fun to make it and exciting to see the zebra like stripes inside when I cut it. It is one easy cake to make. You might think it is hard to make the designs. I used the website here to make this one. She had mentioned a big cake. I reduced the quantities and used it. Instead of dark cocoa I used combination of drinking cocoa powder and instant coffee. I used a 19.5 cm diameter round pan.
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2 medium size
- Oil - 3/4 cup
- Milk - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
- Instant coffee - 1/2 tsp
- Powder the sugar and keep aside.
- Break egg one by one and beat well.
- Into this add oil and blend well using blender.
- Keep a little milk aside and blend the remaining along with vanilla essence into oil-egg duo.
- Into this add sugar and beat well
- Sieve together flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour into the well blended batter and fold in. Avoid over-beating.
- Divide the batter into two portions.
- Mix instant coffee and milk (which you kept aside earlier)
- Into one portion of cake batter add cocoa powder, instant coffee and fold in well.
- Now you've two portions one chocolate and other vanilla.
- Use a round cake pan
- Into the center add 2 tbsp of vanilla batter. Then add 2 tbsp of cocoa batter into the center over the vanilla.
- Continue the process by alternating the batters. Don't wait for the batter to spread. (The batter will spread at its own pace and fill the pan. You just have to keep on pouring the batters into the center alternatively until it is over.) Check here for pictures
- Bake in an oven at 150 degree centigrade for 30 minutes.