This is one creamy chicken curry without coconut milk or cream. I've used cashew nuts for making the gravy thick and creamy. It adds to the taste too. It was a great side for appam and also for ghee rice.
- Cinnamon - 1 small stick
- Cardamom - 3
- Bay leaves - 1/2 of 1
- Cloves - 4
- Chicken - 500 gms (cut into medium size pieces)
- Onion - 4 medium
- Ginger - 1 small piece (2 tsp when chopped)
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Green chilli - 4
- Coriander powder - 3 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 2
- Cashew nuts - 15 nos.
- Oil for sauteeing
- Boiled water (as required)
- Salt to taste
- Soak cashew nut in water for 30 minutes
- Heat a thick bottomed vessel
- Add little oil. When it becomes hot add sliced onion, chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli
- Saute until it turns pink and transparent.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Once cool take half of this mix, and grind to get a fine paste adding enough water.
- Again keep the vessel on flame, add little oil and ingredients from 1 to 4
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Saute until all juice that oozes out from chicken dries up.
- Add coriander powder and pepper powder. Saute for 10-15 seconds
- Add onion paste and remaining half of sauteed onion. If the gravy seems thick add boiled water.
- Add chopped tomato. Add salt to taste
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes on low flame.
- During this time grind soaked cashew nuts into a fine paste adding enough water.
- After 20 minutes open the lid, add this cashew paste, mix well. Simmer for 2 minutes and switch off
- Serve with appam or rice