This is a recipe I got from a friend & cousin of mine swapnachechi. She is a talented cook and is always into something. So yesterday when we went visiting, she gave me this wonderful breakfast idea, which is very healthy too. It is the vella-appam made of wheat flour and raw rice powder mix
- Wheat flour - 2 cups
- Raw rice powder - 1 cup
- Yeast - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Milk + water (taken in equal proportions to get a thick batter)
- Egg -1 (optional)
- Mix yeast, sugar and a little lukewarm water. Keep aside.
- Add the milk & water combination to the dry ingredients and mix well until u get a thick smooth batter.
- There shouldn't be any lumps.
- Now add the foamed yeast to the batter and brisk well.
- Add salt and keep aside for a whole night/8-10 hrs
- In the morning add 1 tbsp sugar and a beaten egg. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, batter is ready to be poured on a medium heated tawa for getting round vella appams
- Egg is optional and can be avoided
- Make sure the yeast has foamed up before adding it to the batter.
- Add sugar and keep the fermented batter for 10 minutes before making appams.
- This appam goes well with spicy kadala curry and masala chicken curries much more than the usual veg/non-veg stews.