Refrigerator was calling out "give me some veggies to store". I realized then only that I had a small piece of cauliflower and two carrots to make a side dish for rice. You must've tried this combination when you ran out of choices. But they complemented each other to give a nice tasty result. Now this thoran/stir fry is going to be in my menu for a long time.
- Cauliflower - 1 small (I had a very small one)
- Carrots - 2
- Onion - 1 medium size
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli - 3
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Shallots - 2 sliced
- Salt to taste
- Chop cauliflower, carrots and onion. (I used chopped to get very tiny pieces)
- Grind coarsely grated coconut, turmeric powder, green chilli, garlic, cumin seeds. Keep aside
- In a thick bottomed vessel, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds when oil is hot. Let it splutter. Add sliced shallots.
- When it turns light brown, add the chopped vegetables.
- Stir for 2 minutes and add the coconut mix. Put on low flames.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover and cook until done. If needed add little water (1 tbsp)
- Open the lid when done and leave on flame for 1 more minute until all water dries up.
- Serve with rice.