This palak paneer is something that I usually make. My husband has a habit of staying away from anything green. But I love coriander, spinach, palak etc. So what I do is I stuff his tiffin with greens whenever possible. On the other hand the little one likes colours and these flavours. My palak paneer is not deep green in colour as I add tomato puree and also a bit of turmeric and chilli powder.
- Palak - 1 bunch
- Paneer - 15 small cubes
- Tomato - 1 medium size
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Green chilli - 2
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 pinch
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Milk - 1/2 cup or cream
- Clean and wash palak
- Place in boiling water for 2 minutes and strain.
- Puree the palak adding water. Keep aside
- Puree the tomato well and keep aside
- Grind together ginger and green chilli.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, add oil and switch on the flame
- When it becomes hot, add cumin seeds.
- When you get the aroma, add ginger-green chilli paste. Saute until light brown.
- Add asafoetida to this followed by pureed tomato.
- Add the turmeric, chilli, cumin and coriander powders to the above and leave on low flame until oil starts separating. Saute in between.
- Then add the palak puree and salt. Allow it on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Stir in paneer. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add milk/cream. Mix well