I couldn't wait any longer to make this sweet. I saw it in Asha's tasty challenge yesterday. Followed her recipe as such and got beautiful jujubs. This sweet brings back lot of school memories. Had seen this in Lakshmi Nair's magic oven sometime back but then didn't write down the recipe. The same laziness poked up then. I had all the ingredients mentioned in her recipe, so didn't have to wait longer :).
- Gelatin - 3 tbsp
- Water - 1 and 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 and 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup (coarsely ground)
- Salt - a dash
- Lemon juice - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
- Liquid glucose/light corn syrup - 1tsp (I used liquid glucose)
- Food colors Red, Yellow, Green - each 2 drops
- Food essence Orange, Pineapple, Lemon - each 2-3 drops
- Soak gelatin in 1/2 cup of ice cold water for 15 minutes
- Boil remaining water and add sugar and salt. Stir well.
- Mix and melt the soaked gelatin in this boiling syrup and stir continuously on low flame for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add 1 tsp liquid glucose and stir for another 1 and 1/2 minute.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and mix well.
- Divide the syrup into three portions if you want three different colours and flavours.
- To each portion add the desired colour and flavour. Mix well.
- You need 3 different rectangular or square trays or vessels to set 3 flavours. (See Notes)
- Spread some drops of oil-water mix to the tray (This helps to remove jujubs easily from tray).
- Pour each flavoured portion into each tray and let it set for 10-12 hrs. I kept overnight.
- In a plate take generous amount of sugar
- Once the jellies have set, sprinkle some coarsely ground sugar on top of each set flavour (otherwise it'll be sticky and will cling to your knife). Cut into desired shape and roll in sugar.
- The smaller the tray the thicker the jujubs. (I didn't have smaller trays, so mine are thin jujubs :)
- I used red colour for orange essence, yellow for pineapple essence and green for lemon. Loved the pineapple flavour best.
And a big thanks to Asha for writing this recipe down and sharing it in her blog space
Sending this to Divya's culinary journey event Showcase - Desserts